Is Agile a Fashion Statement?
These days, switching to agile development is more a fashion statement than a seriously planned undertaking. Many consultants sell agile as a solution to all the problems of a company. Let me help you to evaluate the situation at your company and help you optimize the processes.
I have broad experience from creating start-ups working with freelancers from all over the world, to working in projects with more than 50 people at different locations. I provide on-site support and training (Europe) as well as help with management via Skype, Teams, or Webex. Usually, only a few interviews will suffice to find the core issue we need to focus on. This can give your company an impulse in the right direction, preventing you to waste months of work.
Besides consulting on project management methods, I can provide the following services:
- Agile Coaching
- Creating User Stories / Optimizing Backlog
- JIRA Setup / Optimization
- Conflict Management, Mediation, Workshops
- Evaluation of Processes, Root Cause Analysis of Problems
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Workflow and Meeting Optimization
- Creation of a Roadmap for Agile Transformation
- Being a Voice of Reason – Are you sure you want to move to agile development with this particular project?
A recent study by Google showed that the best teams are those that create psychologically safe spaces, where you can openly state what is on your mind or heart. That is basically what any good manager could have told you: in the best teams, members listen to one another and show sensitivity to feelings and needs.
Life is a bit like a journey from a “madman” who thinks that he or she could be or do anything, over to someone who defines his or her limits, to ultimately fully connect to the world. If you feel the need to hide a side of you, if you are suppressing part of you, you are carrying a mask. You are putting up this business demeanor and you are trying to be both you and not you. But that trying to get rid of your ego is the biggest ego trip of them all. The idea of keeping your life (yourself) at home and solely focus on your job in the office works only when mistakes with the tasks at hand are obvious and can easily be fixed by the individual. With larger team projects, this leads to problems.
The key is to discover and openly discuss your boundaries, your wishes, dreams, and yes, vulnerabilities. To become fully yourself, you need to define your limits. You need to know what exactly you are, and what you are not. In order to define your limits, you need to know the world and how it works. You need to know how to know. That is the realm of philosophy and the topic of my book series Philosophy for Heroes.
In the business world, a quick application of these ideas is to not aim for zero mistakes, but instead have your team (and yourself) aim for 10 mistakes per week. If you (or your partner or work colleagues) make fewer mistakes than that, something must be wrong. Either you did not dare to make mistakes, or you (or your environment) are not strong or open enough to be vulnerable. Establishing such a culture of vulnerability at your company is a challenging task, I can help you along the way.
About LODE Consulting
LODE Consulting is committed to helping you to bring your software or hardware project to success. Contact us if you need support with your project, need coaching in Scrum, Kanban, or eXtreme programming, or are looking for a Scrum Master or Product Owner.
Agile Coach Clemens Lode
- Coaching, Scrum Master, Product Owner in Germany (Focus Rhein-Ruhr), EU/World (remote)
- Availability 80%
Agile methodologies provide solutions for problems you might have, but they are not a guarantee of improvement. Not every project, team, or even company can gain an advantage from being agile. My goal is the success of your project, not necessarily how this was achieved. That, after all, is the core of the agile idea.
Agile Coach · Project Manager · Author · Moderator · Scrum Master · Trainer · Stakeholder Analysis · Leadership · Process Optimization · JIRA Experte · Software Architecture / Development Expert · German · English · 13+ Years Industry Experience · 5+ Years Agile Project Management Experience
Education and Training
- Agile Certified Practitioner (2018, PMI-ACP)
- Project Management Professional (2016, PMI-PMP)
- Certified ScrumMaster (2015, Scrum Alliance CSM)
- Computer Science (Diploma, Focus Operations Research) (KIT, 2009)
- IT, Medical Engineering, Publishing, Apparel, Insurance, Scientific Test Equipment
- JIRA, Confluence, Sharepoint
- Java (Spring), C, C++ (Boost, STL), LaTeX, Python
- LAMP, Azure, Jenkins, MSSQL
- Office, Outlook, Visio, WordPress, MailChimp
BRUKER AG Rheinstetten (June 2017 – March 2018)
- Agile Coach, Project Manager (multiple teams, focus hardware development)
- Business Analyst for PMO
ITERGO Informationstechnologie GmbH Cologne (May 2017 – March 2018, 20% part-time)
- Java Architect, Java Coach, Scrum Coach
ADIDAS AG Herzogenaurach (November 2016 – December 2016)
- Scrum Coach, Business Analyst
CLEMENS LODE VERLAG EK, Düsseldorf (since August 2013)
- Founder, Author (philosophy, psychology, ethics, leadership theory, project management, agile development)
- Project Manager (distributed team with a number of part-time freelancers)
MEDISANA AG Neuss, Düsseldorf (October 2011 – October 2016, <10% since November 2016)
- Agile Coach, Project Manager, Software Architect
EC4U AG / LEGODO AG, Karlsruhe (March 2010 – September 2011)
- Java Developer, Project Manager
KARLSRUHE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Karlsruhe (February 2007 – July 2010, part-time)
- Research Assistant
CLAW SOFTWARE, Karlsruhe (August 2001 – September 2011, part-time)
- Software Developer, Founder
- 2019. Better Books With LaTeX and Agile.
- 2018. Speaker „Agile Transformation“ IQPC „Wie man Menschen zusammenbringt – die drei Dimensionen agiler Zusammenarbeit“. https://agile-transformation.iqpc.de/
- 2018. Philosophie für Helden: Erkenntnis. http://amzn.to/2FtltvG
- 2018. Philosophy for Heroes: Continuum. http://amzn.to/2qQTCls
- 2017. Guest author frontrowagile. https://www.frontrowagile.com/instructors/clemens-lode
- 2017. Kanban Remastered: Agile Lessons from Strategy Games. http://amzn.to/2o0BYtG
- 2017. Scrum Your Jira!, https://amzn.to/2nbUT0Q
- 2016. Philosophy for Heroes: Knowledge. http://amzn.to/2hTb5UX
- 2012. VitaDock Online. https://www.vitadock.de
- 2011. C++ ClawGUI Bibliothek. https://github.com/ClemensLode/GUI
- 2010. Adaption of XCS to Multi-Learner Predator/Prey Scenarios (Urban Richter, Hartmut Schmeck, Proceedings of the 12th annual conf. on genetic and evolutionary computation).
- 2007. Veröffentlichung Addressing Sampling Errors and Diversity Loss in UMDA (Jürgen Branke, Jonathan L. Shapiro, Proceedings of the 9th annual conf. on genetic and evolutionary computation).
- 2007 – 2009. Simulation tool for Changing the Neighborhood of Cellular Automata (Hidenosuke Nishio, Proceedings of the 5th international conf. on machines, computations, and universality) and Automorphism Classification of Cellular Automata (Hidenosuke Nishio, Fundam. Inf. 104, 1-2).
- 2004. Simulation tool with evolutionary algorithms Evolution Forge, >10,000 Downloads, cited
- on gosugamers.net: “A beautiful program that uses math and coding to express just one more facet of our addiction to this game. It is the creation of a brilliant individual.” http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft/news/1756-evolution-forge-1-61
- in Benefits of Genetic Algorithms in Simulations for Game Designers (Jason Jones, http://www.jajonesy.net/Capstone.pdf)